Scholarships are available for WEDA conferences. Applications must be received no later than 30 days prior to a conference. Training funds may be available through Business Training Grants at the Department of Workforce Services.
Why does WEDA provide scholarships?
The purpose of the Professional Development Scholarship Program is to assist professional economic development staff and those directly involved with the economic development efforts of their communities with training costs associated with their economic and community development work. This program is intended to be a benefit of WEDA membership. Scholarships are therefore available to members beginning three (3) months after initial dues are paid to WEDA, or to individuals who are added as representatives of an existing member.
How much could I receive?
- As a general rule, scholarships will be limited to one per person, per organization, per year.
- Scholarship awards are designated to cover 100% of full program tuition expenses in an approved program but a maximum of $500 of combined expenses (tuition/registration fees and eligible travel costs) for each program the member attends.
- WEDA allows scholarships for two (2) professional trainings per calendar year if the member is seeking fast - track certification with IEDC, EDI, or NDC at their current registration rates, for a maximum of $1500/year.
- The Development Scholarship Program is limited to available funding on a first - come, first - served basis.
Who may receive a scholarship?
- Participation in the Program is limited to qualified members of WEDA.
- Wyoming Business Council employees are not eligible.
- Wyoming members actively working in economic development as paid professional staff or in limited cases unpaid staff or volunteers.
- In the case of multiple applicants at once, priority will be given to applications from economic development staff applying to attend a class in their first year of employment in economic development.
- Eligible training programs include NDC, EDI, IEDC, downtown development programs and WEDA Conferences. Additional training programs may be eligible for consideration with adequate justification of the training's benefits to the community and state.
How may I use my scholarship funds?
- Tuition or registration fee
- Training material
- Travel expenses
Does WEDA pay for the class or reimburse me?
- Tuition/registration expenses may be prepaid directly by WEDA to the educational organization, upon request.
- Tuition/registraion may be reimbursed upon completion of the training via submission of the Final Report.
- Travel expenses, if allowed, will be paid in the form of a reimbursement only and may include:
- Automobile mileage paid at the then - current IRS reimbursable rate per mile.
- Air travel may be reimbursed
- Incidental ground transportation required to reach the meeting destination.
- Meals (not to exceed $40 per day), unless included in registration fee.
- Hotel/motel accommodations for the dates of the training.
Other expenses that are specific to a particular training program and not covered above require prior written authorization from WEDA.
What do I need to know about applying? What does WEDA need from me?
- The organization requesting a Development Scholarship must complete and submit a scholarship application form to WEDA for approval at least 30 days prior to the starting date of the training program
- If applying for prepayment of tuition/registration fees, an original registration form must be submitted with your application.
- If applying for expense reimbursement, please include registration costs and estimated travel expenses in the “Itemized Request” section of your application.
- The applicant must also include documentation of the sponsoring economic development organization’s support for the training, typically a letter of support. See below for details.
What do I have to tell WEDA after the training?
Participants in the Development Scholarship Program are required to :
- Complete a Request for Payment/Reimbursement
- Provide a copy of the registration form
- Provide paid invoices or proof of credit card charges
- Complete a Final Report on the Training Program (A form for the final report is included with this application packet.)
Reports should be submitted within forty - five (45) days of the conclusion of the training program, and must be filed before any funds can be reimbursed.
All documents related to your scholarship application should be delivered to email@example.com (scanned documents welcome); or USPS to:
1401 Airport Parkway, Suite 300
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Phone: 307-772-9100 – ask for a WEDA representative